In the end of January seven visitors of the restaurant on the north-east of Japan were hospitalized, after eating a piece of sashimi from the fugu fish. As a result of investigation it turned out that the cook who served the delicacy to the customers, did not have the license to cook that dish. Meanwhile, according to the Japanese laws, he was obliged not only to pass an exam on the right fanning out of puffer, but also to attend “skill improvement” courses regularly. As it is well known, the neural toxin that is contained in the internal organs of the Fugu fish can cause muscle paralysis and lead to respiratory standstill. And there is no antidote; the only way to save the person is sustaining the work of his/her lungs and heart until the effect of the poison wears out. The troublesome cook who served the poorly prepared fish to the guests was lucky – he was arrested by the police while according to the tradition he should have eaten the rest of the dish after having poisoned the guests.
Besides fugu, in the cuisines of various countries there are a significant number of other poisonous types of fish, which even if ideally cooked can poison. However not only fish but also some fruit and vegetables served in some countries contain a distinctive amount of poison, which can cause death. And many of these products are considered to be local delicacies. Hotel Resort Insider edition has compiled a rating of the deadliest products of the world.
Fugu fish, Japan
Of course, the well-known fugu fish is on the first place. It is forbidden in Europe. Those who like risks will have to travel to Japan, Thailand or Korea in order to experience light narcotic effect, which brings about even correctly cooked dish. By the way, venomousness of fugu depends on what it eats and Japanese farmers have learned a long time ago how to breed absolutely safe fish but the safe variety is not popular.
Elderberry, Europe and North America
Elderberry often contains in jams, desserts. It is rumored that an extract of these berries is also a part of the sambucus. However it is not possible to verify this since the recipe of the liquor is strictly confidential. Meanwhile even though the ripe berries are considered to be safe, there can be cyanide found in the lightly unripe berries.
Scorpaena fish, Australia and New Zealand
This fish that can be found by the rocky shores of Australian coastline is considered to be a delicacy since its meat is very similar by its taste and consistency to that of the crab-meat. The poison is contained in the thorns and bone spikes located in the bronchial heads that is why the cook should be quite deft to cook the fish. Fortunately there is an antidote for the deadly poison of this fish.
Manioc (cassava), Africa, Caribbean and South America
Tuber-like roots of this quickly growing bush are an important component in the African and Caribbean cuisines. Raw roots are highly poisonous because they contain hydrocyanic acid that is why they are heat treated. Another way of removing the poison is pounding and drying the tubers. Thin flat cakes are made from the obtained flour. However due to economic reasons the roots are not always ground fine enough and hydrocyanic acid is not completely removed. One time use will not cause a fatal outcome but as a result of accumulative effect one can get rather unpleasant spastic seizures.
National Jamaican fruit is safe to eat only during specific ripeness stage. If it is eaten raw or over-ripe then vomiting and even a convulsive seizure are highly possible.
Silver-Stripe Blaasop, Indo-West Pacific
Having it without the poisonous parts such as liver, reproductive organs or the skins is harmless. But an accidental bite into those parts may cause you fatal paralysis or breathing problem.
Inky Cap Mushroom
If you are an alcoholic, it’s a strict ‘no’ for you. The inky-cap mushrooms when mixed with alcohol can result to serious illness. They are so reactive to each other that a touch of alcohol or smelling a perfume after a dish of inky-cap mushroom is enough to kick start the symptoms.
Namibian Bullfrog, Africa
Eating it before the third rain of the spring can meet with consequences like temporary kidney failure or a burning sensation in the urethra. The giant bullfrog is considered a delicacy in Africa.
Stonefish, Pacific and Indian Ocean
The most venomous fish in the world is capable of being fatal to human beings with a mere contact only. However, it’s served as a sashimi dish called Okoze. However, the dorsal fins having 13 poison-equipped spines, which are cut before being served.
Casu Marzu, Italy
It’s a Sardinian delicacy, made from rotten goat’s milk and served with live maggots. The live maggots which will impart a day long sour taste sometimes drill through the small intestine causing bleeding, vomiting. Casu Marzu, an illegal cheese can result to long-lasting health hazards.