Extending about 6,700 kilometers from the Jiayuguan Pass in the province of Gansu and to the Shanhaiguan Pass in Hebei province, the wondrous Great Wall of China, also known as ‘Ten thousand Li Great Wall’ in Chinese, is perhaps one of the largest building construction projects ever completed. Boasting a history of more than two thousand years, it is regarded as the most magnificent architectural achievement of the wise Chinese people and a World Heritage Site since 1987. It is where celebrities and Presidents from different corners of the world come to visit and pose.
Interesting Facts About The Great Wall
- The Great Wall is composed of many sections and stretches across eight provinces of North China.It was built to protect the Chinese Empire from northern invaders.
- Qin Shi Huang, the first emperor of China, completed the first wall and connected sections built by different kingdom, uniting China under an iron fist in 221BC-206BC.
- Most of the current Great Wall was built during the Ming dynasty, between 1368 and 1644.
- Approximately, 300,000 soldiers, 500,000 commoners, peasants, prisoners and hard laborers have worked on it.
- When speaking about the Great Wall of China, lots of people think that it is the only man-made structure that is visible from the Moon, but it’s not true as even the shape of the continents is not very clear from the moon.
- The Great Wall of China is sometimes given the nickname ‘The Long Graveyard,’ according to a myth that thousands of people are buried underneath the wall, but much research has neglected this fact, explaining that as corpses can decompose shifting in size and weight, this would bring to the downfall of the sections.
- It is estimated that millions of people died while constructing the Great Wall.
- You will see a lonely watch tower overlooking the White River at the end of your Great Wall tour.
- According to the recent research scientists have discovered more than 500 miles of the Wall buried for hundreds of years.
- The Grate Wall of China is 25 feet tall.
Great Wall Tours
There are many wonderful Great Wall Tours that are a must for your China Trip, offering fantastic hiking and camping options in easy and challenging sections of the structure, where you may discover the most authentic and picture-perfect beauty of China, its culture and history all in one trip. The tours also include packing list, as well as health and safety concerns. Here are some of the hottest Great Wall Deals:
- 4-Day Essence of Beijing Tour A (BJ-1). Price From: $384 (based on 2 persons)
- 8-Day Essence of China Tour (CHT-1). Price From $1303 (based on 2 persons)
- 6-Day Great Wall Hiking Tour. Price From $885 (per person)
- 11-Day China Dreams Tour (CHT-63). Price From $1871 ( based on 2 persons)
- 1-Day Great Wall Hiking Tour (BJALC-42). Price From $137 (based on 2 persons)
- 7-Day Beijing and Xi’an Combo (CUT-23). Price From $96 (based on 2 persons)
Keep in mind that your trip to China will be incomplete if you miss out to climb the Great Wall of China. With breathtaking beauty, imposing watchtowers winding up and down steep hills, plateaus and deserts, Great Wall — the structured photogenic symbol of Chinese history and heritage, never fails to amaze.